Howard’s Covered Bridge

Howard’s Covered Bridge

Howard's Bridge MarkerYear Erected:2000

Marker Text: Built in 1904-05 to replace an earlier structure, this bridge bears the name of a pioneer family who settled near Big Cloud’s Creek in the late 1700s. Constructed in the Town lattice design using convict labor, the 164-foot bridge’s web of planks crisscrosses at 45-to 60-degree angles and are fastened with wooden pegs, or trunnels, at each intersection. The south Georgia timber used in the bridge was transported to Smithonia via the Smith and Dunlap Railroad, a standard gauge steam railroad connecting the farm complex of James Monroe Smith with the Georgia Railroad at Dunlap.

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society, Georgia Department of Transportation, and the Federal Highway Administration

Tips for Finding This Marker: Bridge on Chandler Silver Road off Cloud’s Creek Road