Year Erected: 1954
Marker Text: This comfortable two-story log house was the home of Cherokee Chief John Ross from boyhood until he went west over the “Trail of Tears,” losing his Indian wife enroute. Although only one-eighth Indian himself, Ross was the elected “Principal Chief” of the Cherokee Nation for 40 years and their advocate for justice for 57 years. He voluntarily chose exile with his people. In the war of 1812, Ross served with a regiment of Cherokees under Gen. Andrew Jackson against the Creek allies of the English. This house was built in 1797 by John McDonald, grandfather of John Ross.