Year Erected: 1955
Marker Text: LaGrange College is the oldest non-tax supported institution of higher education in Georgia. It was chartered in 1831 as LaGrange Female Academy. The charter has been changed three times as the trustees altered the name to LaGrange Female Institute in 1847, to LaGrange Female College in 1851 and finally to LaGrange College in 1934. It was formally declared a co-educational institution in 1954. LaGrange College is owned by the North Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church.