Year Erected: 1955
Marker Text: Montpelier Institute, founded in 1842 by Stephen Elliott, Jr., First Episcopal Bishop of the Diocese of Georgia, was Georgia’s second oldest school for girls. Col. G.B. Lamar gave the land for the school including Montpelier Springs, long noted as a health resort. Operated until 1856 as a Female Institute with students from several states and prominent teachers, its cutural influence was felt for many years. For 20 years, until 1876, Montpelier was a private school. When that school closed the property was acquired by the Hart family of Macon.