Year Erected: 1955
Marker Text: Recognized officially and designated in 1923 by the American Tree Association as “The Mother of Georgia’s Pecan Industry,” the giant seedling just west of this marker was planted in 1848 in the flower and fruit garden of Judge and Mrs. William Taylor, pioneer citizens of Cuthbert. The seed nut was brought from Texas by Mrs. Taylor’s Mother, Mrs. Rebecca Jackson Brooking, traditionally a cousin of Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson, and planted here. Judge Taylor was the first Judge of the former Southwestern Circuit, 1840-44. He built the white-columned Colonial Mansion just north of the tree as his home. He gave the Cuthbert Methodist Church the land on which it stands and his widow, Mrs. Maria Brooking Taylor gave Andrew College the lot on which its first buildings were erected in 1854.