Marker Text: About .5 mile East on this Road is the site of Old Ebenezer, the first settlement of the Salzburgers in Georgia. They selected this location and named it Ebenezer – the stone of help. General Oglethorpe marked out their town, and soon they erected homes and some public buildings. The settlers remained at this site two years, despite many hardships, including the difficulty in navigation of the stream upon which their town was situated. In February, 1736, the Salzburgers, now 200 in number, asked for and received permission to abandon this site and move to a more desirable location, one now known as New Ebenezer.
Tips for Finding This Marker: Northeast of intersection Ga Hwy 21 and Log Landing Road in Springfield.