Year Erected: 1953
Marker Text: May 7, 1864. McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee [USA] (15th & 16th A.C.), having marched by Lee & Gordon’s Mill turned S.E. at this point & via Rock Springs Ch. on the old Tavern Road (State Highway 95), marched to its intersection with State Highway 151, & camped there that night. McPherson’s objective was to outflank Johnston’s forces [CSA] at Dalton by seizing Snake Cr. Gap. As originally planned, this flanking march was to have been from Guntersville, Ala., via Rome and Kingston, but failing to secure additional forces, Sherman decided on a more restricted approach to Johnston’s rear, via Villanow and & Snake Creek Gap.