Year Erected: 1953
Marker Text: This house was the residence of Alice McClellan Birney, co-founder of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers during the post-war era.
The home was probably built by Miss Mary Ann Nesbit prior to 1869, in which year it was purchased by William R. Gignilliatt.
In 1887 it was bought by St. James Episcopal Church for use as a Rectory.
Exploring the TopicResidence of Alice McClellan Birney
Research paper by Halle Lawson, Dr. Jennifer Dickey’s Introduction to Public History course, Kennesaw State University