Year Erected: 2012
Marker Text: Richmond Baptist Church and its adjoining cemetery were organized on March 14, 1897 under the leadership of Rev. E.K. Love, third pastor of First African Baptist Church in Savannah. Rev. Love was a significant missionary and religious leader in the African-American community throughout Georgia. Richmond was one of thirteen identified Savannah praise houses under the administration of First African Baptist Church in 1884. Established in the tradition of earlier plantation praise houses intended to Christianize the enslaved populations of rural plantations, Richmond Baptist Church served the African Americans of Richmond Plantation. Richmond maintained religious worship under the affiliate plantation membership of First African Baptist Church of Savannah.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society and the Richmond Baptist Church