Year Erected: 1989
Marker Text: On the night of Dec. 2, 1864. Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi [USA] Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, camped on the west bank of Buckhead Creek near the bridge. During the late afternoon of the 2nd, the 17th Corps (Blair’s) had crossed the creek and burned the railway station, the hotel and several warehouse’ erected by the Confederate Army. That night, the corps camped in the south of Millen, with the exception of one brigade and the trains, which remained west of Buckhead Creek until morning. On the 3rd, the 17th Corps moved forward via Paramore Hill to Scarborough (old No. 7, CRR) destroying the railroad enroute.