Year Erected: 2001
Marker Text: This building, named for Dr. George N. Stoney, a prominent local black physician, opened in 1939 to house students of the Lamar School of Nursing. The school, founded in 1897 by Lucy Craft Laney and Dr. William H. Doughty, was one of the first nursing schools for blacks in the South and trained students for work at Lamar Hospital, which opened in 1895 for black patients. The building was vacated in 1955 when the school was disbanded, though black nurses continued training at University Hospital. It is presently occupied by the Medical College of Georgia School of Nursing.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, the Medical College of Georgia, and the Lamar School of Nursing Alumnae Association