Year Erected: 1954
Marker Text: July 19, 1864. Dodge’s 16th A.C., having camped on the N. Fork Peachtree Cr., moved south on old Shallow Ford Rd. to this point where it joined Schofield’s 23d, which had marched S.E. from Goodwin’s Crossing (Brookhaven), along roads now designated Briarwood & N. Druid Hills.
The 23d, occupying the road, Dodge made shift to reach Decatur by cutting a parallel roadcrossing S. Fork, Peachtree Cr., at Mason’s Mill, present site of Decatur Water Works.
South of the creek, the skirmishers of both corps were assailed by Wheeler’s cav. [CS] as they moved toward the Decatur Public Square.