Year Erected: 1957
Marker Text*: On Nov. 28, 1864, the Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [USA], less Morgan’s and Baird’s divisions, 14th Corps, which had marched via Fenn’s Bridge (10 mi. NW), and Jackson’s and Geary’s divisions, 20th Corps, which were destroying the railroad E from Davisboro, moved from Davisboro to Louisville on this road. At this point, the advance guard found that eight bridges over Ogeechee River and tributaries had been burned by Wheeler’s Cavalry [CSA]. Pioneers and pontoniers of the 58th Indiana Infantry bridged the river with pontoons and built a corduroy road through the swamp on which the column was able to pass the burned bridges.
*Marker not in place due to damage or maintenance.