Year Erected: 2006
Marker Text: Members of the seventeenth-century French Order of Saint Joseph of Carondelet were first invited to Georgia at the end of the Civil War to teach and staff an orphanage in Savannah. Working with the children of African Americans, the Sisters of St. Joseph received praise and scorn. After serving briefly at a girls’ school in Washington, Georgia, the Sisters came to Augusta in 1912. Here they began Mount Saint Joseph Academy, which operated from 1915 until 1960. The Order’s convent stood at this location. Augusta institutions founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph include Saint Mary’s Elementary School, Aquinas High School, and St. Joseph’s Hospital.