“The Thicket”, Sugar Mill & Rum Distillery Ruins

“The Thicket”, Sugar Mill & Rum Distillery Ruins

Year Erected: 1957

Marker Text: On the banks of Carnochan Creek, a short distance East of here, are the ruins of a famous Sugar Mill and Rum Distillery operated early in the 19th century.

These buildings, constructed of tabby by William Carnochan on his huge sugar plantation at “The Thicket,” followed closely plans laid out by Thomas Spalding of Sapelo. The sugar works and rum distillery were operated successfully on a commercial scale until 1824, when a hurricane tore off the roof and upper story of the mill and cane barn, and destroyed other buildings.

Tips for Finding This Marker: Located at the intersection of Ridge Road (State Highway 99) and Tolomato Causeway (Mission Road) on Ridge Road in Darien.