Marker Text: During his Southern tour of 1791, President George Washington visited Augusta–at that time Georgia’s capital–from May 18-21. Washington met with Governor Edward Telfair and other “principal gentlemen of the place,” including George Walton and John Twiggs; attended a ball at Richmond Academy “at which there were between 60 & 70 well-dressed ladies;” toured the remains of Fort Cornwallis near St. Paul’s Church; and visited the falls on the Savannah River. He described the city as “well laid out with wide & spacious streets. It bids fair to be a large town.” Washington’s return to Philadelphia began on May 21 when he departed for Columbia, S.C.
Year Erected: 1999
Tips for Finding This Marker: 605 Reynolds Street in Augusta.