Atlanta, August 23, 2018 – The Georgia Historical Society was honored to join the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, and Temple Kol Emeth for a ceremony rededicating the Leo Frank Lynching historical marker at the intersection of Roswell Road and Highway 401 in Marietta today.
The marker, originally erected in 2008 by GHS, the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, and Temple Kol Emeth, commemorates the lynching of Leo Frank in 1915. It was removed by the Georgia Department of Transportation when road construction at the site made it unsafe for public viewing. Once construction was complete, GDOT created the current green space as a permanent home for the marker.
“At the Georgia Historical Society we believe that it is through sharing the stories of our past that we connect with one another and grow closer together as a community. This marker is, and will continue to be, an important part of telling the story of our state’s past,” said Patricia Meagher, Director of Communications for the Georgia Historical Society. “We hope that those who come to this site in the future and read the story of the events that took place in 1915, not only gain a greater understanding of what happened here, but also come away with an understanding of the role that historical markers play as an educational resource.”
Other speakers for the rededication included Rabbi Steven Lebow, Temple Kol Emeth; Jerry Klinger, Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation; Allison Padilla-Goodman, ADL; Rabbi Daniel Dorsch, Congregation Etz Chaim; Dale Schwartz, ADL; Robert Wittenstein, ADL; and Dr. Ben Williams, Cobb County Chapter of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference.
The ceremony ended with the planting of a crepe myrtle in memory of Leo Frank.
For more information please contact Patricia Meagher at 404-382-5410, ext. 153 or on cell at 434-996-7085 or by email at email@example.com.
ABOUT THE GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER PROGRAM
The Georgia Historical Society (GHS) administers Georgia’s historical marker program. Over the past 20 years, GHS has erected over 250 new historical markers across the state on a wide variety of subjects. GHS also maintains the more than 2,100 markers installed by the State of Georgia prior to 1998. Online mapping tools allow users to design driving routes based on historical markers, and a mobile app helps visitors locate and learn about markers nearby.Visit georgiahistory.com for more ways to use Georgia’s historical markers and experience history where it happened.
ABOUT GEORGIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Georgia Historical Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining, and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.
To learn more visit georgiahistory.com.