Hodgson Hall and Jepson House Garden Event Rental
The Georgia Historical Society’s Hodgson Hall and Garden, as well as the Jepson House Education Center Garden are available for weddings, receptions, dinners and other events.
To make an appointment for a tour of our facilities, or to ask questions and discuss scheduling, please call 912.651.2125 ext. 114.
Constructed in 1876 as a permanent building for the Georgia Historical Society, Hodgson Hall sits on the northwest corner of Forsyth Park in Savannah and serves as the organization’s statewide headquarters. Designed by the American Institute of Architect’s founder Detlef Lienau, Hodgson Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was a gift of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and Mary Telfair as a memorial to William B. Hodgson, a prominent Savannah citizen, American diplomat and oriental scholar.
This impressive structure serves as a representation of the Society to most of its members and provides a beautiful and historic atmosphere in which to study and research. The main floor, reaching 36 feet with its three-story-high ceilings and two balconies, houses the Society’s library room. The striking feature of this room is its vaulted arched windows that were designed to provide maximum light and ventilation in the days when there was little artificial light and no air conditioning.
Though the Society’s expanding collections and membership have required periodic renovations, improvements and additions to the original structure, the building remains intact. For example, the interior doors to the Reading Room still operate on their original decorative, brass hinges. The bronze railings along the mezzanine and staircases are also original to the building. The four large tables in the reading room, made of slabs of solid walnut supported by cast iron bases, date to the opening in 1876. The front doors, which are also original to the building, are made of solid pieces of mahogany. The outside entrance is a broad brownstone stairway with heavy curving metal balustrades leading to a two-columned portico. The property is surrounded on two sides by an ornamental iron fence with gates.
For additional event rental information, click here.
For a list of preferred vendors, click here.