Albert H. Stoddard Fund
Albert Henry Stoddard III was born in Savannah on November 14, 1920, to Albert Henry Stoddard, Jr. and Evelyn Pollard Stoddard. He received his education from the Pape School in Savannah and graduated from the Virginia Episcopal School in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Albert received his baccalaureate degree from the University of Virginia and served in the US Marine Corp during World War II. He subsequently returned to Savannah and served as a trust officer for the Savannah Bank and Trust Company until his retirement.
Throughout his life he gave generously of his time and talents. He was an early supporter of the preservation movement in Savannah and maintained a strong support for the arts in the city. Albert served as president of the Historic Savannah Foundation, as a Trustee of the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, and a Trustee of the Davenport House Endowment. In addition, he served on the boards of the Telfair Arts Academy, the Georgia Infirmary, the Virginia Episcopal School, and volunteered his services at the Owens-Thomas House, the King-Tisdale Cottage, and the Beach Institute, where he was also board member and secretary. He was awarded the prestigious Oglethorpe Award for his services to the Savannah community. For many years he served as secretary for the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Georgia.
Albert Stoddard died on June 16, 2005, age 84, at his home in Savannah. He is buried in Bonaventure Cemetery in Savannah, Georgia.
The Albert Stoddard Fund was established in 2005 after Albert’s death through a bequest in his will, ensuring that his love and support of the Georgia Historical Society will continue in perpetuity.