Craig Barrow Fund
Craig Barrow was born in Athens, Georgia, on May 12, 1876, the sixth child of Middleton Pope Barrow and Sarah Church Craig. Following graduation from the University of Georgia (UGA) in 1896, Craig completed his medical degree in 1900 at the University of Maryland. He began medical practice in Savannah in 1902 as a surgeon.
On January 3, 1906, Craig married Elfrida DeRenne, a sixth-generation Georgian born on January 7, 1884 to Wymberly Jones DeRenne and Laura Norris DeRenne. Elfrida was a direct descendant of Georgia colonist Noble Jones, who established Wormsloe Plantation in 1737. Craig and Elfrida had three children, Craig Jr., Elfrida, and Muriel. The Barrows moved to Wormsloe in 1938.
Dr. Barrow worked as a surgeon at the Georgia Infirmary for 36 years and spearheaded the establishment of the Central of Georgia Hospital in 1927. Dr. Barrow died on August 31, 1945, at age 69. Elfrida DeRenne Barrow died on October 1, 1970, age 86. They are both buried at Wormsloe. Elfrida joined the GHS Board of Curators in 1920, one of the first women to serve in this capacity.
Craig Barrow, Jr. was born on October 25, 1906, and graduated from UGA in 1928. He worked in the investment division of Citizens and Southern National Bank in Augusta. In 1938 he married Laura Palmer Bell, born on December 8, 1914, the daughter of Malcolm Bell and Laura Palmer Bell of Savannah. They had three children, Elfrida, Laura, and Craig III.
Craig Jr. became treasurer of the Wormsloe Foundation, the non-profit arm charged with publishing works on Georgia history. In 1972 his son Craig III and the Trustees of the Wormsloe Foundation, Inc. transferred ownership of 750 acres of Wormsloe–excluding the family home and roughly 50 acres of surrounding land–to the Nature Conservancy which one year later transferred ownership to the State of Georgia as the first transaction in Georgia Heritage Trust. Craig Jr. died on October 6, 1978, age 71. Laura Palmer Bell Barrow died on May 3, 2003, age 88. They are both buried at Wormsloe. Craig III became treasurer of the Wormsloe Foundation, Inc. in 1978.
Craig Barrow III was born on March 21, 1942, and graduated from UGA in 1965. Craig married Diana Deas, the daughter of Thornton Meadows Deas and Marie Young Deas, on May 7, 1966. She was born November 3, 1943. Craig and Diana have two children, Thornton Deas and Kathryn Candler. Craig III represents the ninth generation of his family to live at Wormsloe.
Craig III’s UGA ties are many: a founder of the Board of Visitors for the UGA Libraries, a founder of the UGA Press Advisory Council, service as UGA Foundation Trustee. Craig led the $30 million effort to build a new Special Collections Library at UGA. In 2013, he arranged for the trustees of the Wormsloe Foundation to donate 15 acres to UGA to create the University of Georgia Center for Research and Education at Wormsloe. Craig III was founder of the Advisory Board for the Center for Wildlife Education at Georgia Southern University.
As managing director of the investment firm of Sterne, Agee and Leach (now Stifel), Craig III served for many years on the Georgia Historical Society (GHS) Endowment Trust Board. Craig III received the John Macpherson Berrien Award for lifetime achievement in Georgia history from GHS in 2006.
In 2004 Craig Barrow III established the Craig Barrow Fund at the Georgia Historical Society to honor his father and grandfather, ensuring that their shared love of Georgia history will continue in perpetuity.