Savannah, Ga., March 30, 2016 – The Georgia Historical Society will dedicate a new historical marker to Elizabeth Evelyn Wright, a Talbotton native who founded the Denmark Industrial School, later known as Voorhees College.
“Elizabeth Evelyn Wright was a woman of great determination who believed in the power of education to inspire future generations,” said Dr. W. Todd Groce, President and CEO of the Georgia Historical Society. “Even in the face of adversity she pushed on toward her goal, and because of her vision generations of students have had the opportunity to receive their education at Voorhees College.”
Ms. Cynthia Epps, Assistant Superintendent of Talbot County Schools, and Mr. Brandon Smith, Voorhees College Alumni, will serve as masters of ceremonies. Other speakers include Talbotton Mayor Tony Lamar, and Elyse Butler from the Georgia Historical Society. Music will be provided by the Voorhees College Choir, and Dr. Cleveland L. Sellers, Jr., President and CEO of Voorhees College, will deliver the keynote speech.
The dedication will take place Sunday, April 3, at 1:00 p.m. at the Greater St. Phillip Methodist Church, 67 East Tyler Street, in Talbotton, GA.
The Marker reads:
Elizabeth Evelyn Wright
Pioneering educator Elizabeth Evelyn Wright was born in Talbotton, Georgia, and attended school here at St. Phillips African Methodist Episcopal Church, where many local African-American children received their education. Under the tutelage of President Booker T. Washington and his wife, Olivia, Wright graduated from Alabama’s Tuskegee Institute in 1894 and moved to South Carolina to start a school inspired by Washington’s model of industrial education for African Americans. Despite the support of wealthy and influential friends from across the country, Wright faced suspicion, racism, and multiple arson attacks in her efforts to found the school. In 1897 she successfully established the Denmark Industrial School, later named Voorhees Industrial School, in South Carolina. Wright died in 1906 and is buried on the campus, which became Voorhees College in 1962 when the school received accreditation.
Erected by the Georgia Historical Society, Voorhees College, Greater Saint Phillip Methodist Church, and the City of Talbotton
ABOUT GEORGIA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Georgia Historical Society (GHS) is the premier independent statewide institution responsible for collecting, examining, and teaching Georgia history. GHS houses the oldest and most distinguished collection of materials related exclusively to Georgia history in the nation.
To learn more visit georgiahistory.com.
ABOUT THE GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER PROGRAM
The Georgia Historical Society has administered Georgia’s historical marker program since 1998, erecting over 200 historical markers across Georgia on a wide variety of subjects. Now, online mapping tools allow you to design statewide driving routes based on historical markers, while mobile apps give information about markers nearby. Visit georgiahistory.com for more ways to use Georgia’s historical markers and experience history where it happened.