About the Research Center
Located in historic Hodgson Hall, the Research Center preserves an unparalleled collection of Georgia history, including over 5 million manuscripts, 100,000 photographs, 30,000 architectural drawings, 15,000 rare and non-rare books, and thousands of maps, portraits, and artifacts. The Georgia Historical Society’s vast collection includes such treasures as an original draft of the U.S. Constitution, one of only a handful in existence; a compass and snuff box belonging to Georgia founder James Oglethorpe; records related to the Cherokee Removal and Trail of Tears of 1836; and the correspondence of national figures such as U.S. presidents Thomas Jefferson and Andrew Jackson, Confederate General Robert E. Lee, and Girl Scout founder Juliette Gordon Low.
The manuscript collection includes family papers, military records of every Georgia war, the papers of Georgia’s major political leaders, colonial account books, diaries, plantation records, papers of social and cultural organizations, and business records ranging from the 18th through the 20th century.
The periodical collection dates from the 18th and 19th centuries, and the visual material collection makes up an impressive collection of photographs and other images including portraits of many of Georgia’s most prominent leaders.
Georgia Historical Society’s Hodgson Hall
Dedicated in 1876 as a permanent building for the Georgia Historical Society, Hodgson Hall serves as the organization’s statewide headquarters. Designed by the American Institute of Architect’s founder Detlef Lienau, Hodgson Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building was a gift of Margaret Telfair Hodgson and Mary Telfair as a memorial to William B. Hodgson, a prominent Savannah citizen, American diplomat, and oriental scholar.